Green Card Visa Application
To be more precise, here are the topics that we will discuss:
Green Card Program Visa Requirement
- To participate in the program, you must be a native by birth from one of the eligible countries. Take not that, eligibility is not determined by country of citizenship or current residence.
- Eligible countries are those countries that have a low immigration rate to the United states. For example, if you were born in Cameroon or even Libya, then you are eligible to apply because these countries have a small population and a low flow of immigrants in the United States.
- The list of eligible countries is updated annually by the United States Department, so if your country is not listed this year, keep checking because it can be listed in the following year. Also, a country that is eligible in one year can also become ineligible the next year.
Although your country of birth is not eligible to enter, there are two ways in which you can also become eligible:
- If your spouse was born in one of the eligible country, you can claim his/her country of birth.
- If one or both of your parents was born in an eligible country, you can claim his/her nativity.
- You must have successfully completed a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education otherwise defined as a high school certificate or its equivalent.
- You must have at least 2 years work experience within the past 5 years in an occupation that requires 2 years training and must be admissible under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
Who is Not Eligible to Enter the Green Card Program?
Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (Mainland only), Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Haiti, India, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, United Kingdom and dependent areas (except Northern Ireland) Vietnam.
How Can I Apply for the Green Card Program?
- Once you are sure that you have met all the requirements stated above, you can proceed with the green Card Program application process.
- You will need to fill in the Electronic Diversity Application Form and submit it online to the US State Department when registration is open. Registration is usually once per year between October and November.
- Paper format applications are not accepted.
- Include the correct information for yourself, your spouse, and all your children (including step-children), who are under the age of 21.
- Upload digital color passport size pictures for yourself and your family that you have included on the application.
- On successful submission of your application you will be issued with a unique confirmation number that should be kept for reference.
- Make sure that you submit a valid email address so that the authorities can communicate with you.
Green Card Program Application Processing Time
- Your Green Card Program application is process by the US State Department. Although results are usually posted within 6 to 7 months after you have applied, you must check your application status on a regularly on the US State Department’s website to see when selection results are posted.
- If you are selected, the next step is to apply for your Green Card Visa or Diversity Visa(DV) as it is officially called. You will need to complete the forms and submit all supporting documents, which might take quite a few months.